Friday 30 January 2015

Old Firm- Same Old Shit.

The Old Firm comes back on Sunday after nearly 3 years off.

For anyone reading from elsewhere who doesn't know, the Old Firm refers to a (soccer)football match between Glasgow Celtic, and Glasgow Rangers. The fans needlessly divide themselves along political, ideological and religious lines. This creates a lot of conflict, hatred, violence (both in the streets and domestically), and has even resulted in deaths.

I'm not a football person- never have been. My second biggest reason (after general disinterest), is the amount of discord this game causes. I was visibly relieved when I was told that this Derby would not happen as a result of the financial trouble Rangers found itself in, and now I am palpably unsettled at its return.

I can easily predict what will happen this Sunday. One team will beat the other, and there will be some kind of riot. There will be the usual surge in domestic violence. Many people will be admitted to hospital, and someone will most likely be killed. I wonder if the bookies will take that one.

I am of the view that the two clubs should be completely liquidated and amalgamated into one. Have one Glasgow team- Glasgow United, perhaps- and make their strip purple. However, it won't happen for one reason- the money it brings to Scottish football. Despite the divides it causes in our society, money is more important to these big businesses apparently, and it doesn't seem to matter how many people are hurt or killed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment