Monday 29 December 2014

The Final Mac'n'Cheese.

Because I'm going on this diet, I'm having a few foods over the next few days that I won't be able to have anymore!

The one thing I was certain I had to have was macaroni cheese. It's one of my favourite dishes and I'll miss it a lot. I want to share my recipe so other people can enjoy it.

Disclaimer: This is NOT good for you- it is serious comfort food. It is massively heavy, cheesy and indulgent. Great for a treat, or if you really want to impress.


Scott's Final Macaroni Cheese.

Ingredients:-

2oz extra mature cheddar
2oz Red Leicester 
2oz Parmigiano Regganio (Parmesan)
250ml Double cream
250ml milk
2oz butter
1oz plain flour
1tsp ground black pepper
1tsp sea salt.
250g macaroni
Approx 3tbsp breadcrumbs
150g smoked bacon lardons- or slice some of your own to 1cm width

Directions:-
Melt butter in saucepan. Using a whisk, gradually add the flour to make a roux. Whisk constantly. It should thicken, bubble and pale, but not become solid. If it does, you've added too much flour.

Gradually whisk in the cream and milk. Add salt and pepper and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Add the cheese, a little bit at a time, and whisk in until completely melted. Set this to one side.

Fry bacon pieces in a pan with a little butter or oil until well crisped. Set aside on kitchen roll to soak excess grease.

Cook your macaroni as per packaging instructions. Combine with your cheesy sauce, and stir in bacon lardons. Spoon into a small lasagne dish or pie dish, and top with breadcumbs and a little extra cheddar if desired.

Bake at 200°C for 30 mins, or until the topping is golden and bubbling. Set aside for ten mins before serving!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment