Wednesday 23 July 2014

Success and "Selling Out"

I did a post about music fairly recently, but I discussed music with a friend of mine recently, and I was reminded of a rather annoying characteristic of some music fans. In the past I've been called a music elitist and I accept that charge- it simply means my standards are high.  There are however, greater "sins" that some lovers of music commit. To fully understand what I'm talking about- let's examine some of the choiciest irritating phrases uttered by fans of this type, and respond to them.


"I listened to them before they got famous, now I don't":- Why? Have they changed dramatically since then in sound or attitude? If there is no legitimate shift of any kind; don't be alarmed, but you might in fact be what is commonly known as a pretentious hipster. Oh no- a relatively unknown band has broken ground and now people other than you like them. What a travesty.

"I was one of the first people to get into them":- Congratulations. We are all so very happy for you, are deeply moved by your unwavering superfandom, and think your oversized owl pendant is... Lovely. Tell me, what is it that draws you to nautical themes? Forgive the sarcasm, but I fail to see the merit in pointing this out, other than shameless posturing of course. 

"They used to be good, but they've sold out now, and they suck" :- Do they really? I'm sorry to be the one to do a little bubble-bursting, but selling out is actually a good thing. Think about it; a band you are a fan of- a band you like- has become successful and famous for their music. How is that not positive? If, as I mentioned before, the band has changed irrevocably as a result and you no longer like the actual music or it's direction in subsequent releases, that's understandable. That happened to me with Metallica. The material after "Load" didn't do anything for me, but it's enjoyed by many (yes, even St. Anger). It doesn't stop me enjoying the older records like Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning. It doesn't change how much I enjoy the grandeur of songs like "One", "Creeping Death" and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)". It makes me wish that they were still doing that- but bands grow, experiment and, yes, change. That's just the way it is. 

And, probably my personal favourite selfish gripe:

"I hate that everyone listens to them now, they were one of my bands"

Wow. Take that in for a moment. Not only are you resentful of someone's success, but you would- given your way- keep them at an underground level: have their music reach and entertain fewer people.  You'd actually impede the progress of the bands you supposedly "love". That, to me is not how a fan of a band should behave. It's like you're saying "How dare they capitalise on what they're clearly good at. How dare they make a living from the art they've created and suffered for- they're MY band." I've honestly encountered people who will not divulge their taste in bands with other people; for fear word of their cherished artists might spread. If that does happen, they claim that they have been "ruined" for them. Such possessiveness is highly irrational- musicians are not property to claim some kind of ownership of. If someone I knew discovered a band I liked, I'd be delighted. I'd boil over with enthusiasm and spark conversation about them, because finding out someone shares a passion with you is awesome. Believe it or not- most bands out there don't want to be playing in bars to 20 people- ten of which aren't even watching- for their entire lives. Most bands have a little more ambition; a drive to share their music with more and more people, play bigger stages and entertain larger crowds. The more people you play to, the bigger the head-rush gets. Put your pathetic obsessions in perspective to that and realise that it isn't all about you- it never was. It's about musicians doing what they love and sharing it with the world.

If any of these phrases sound like you- ask yourself why that is- and whether you really feel right in saying it. If you find yourself uttering the last phrase frequently, then you are a sorry excuse for a fan, and should take a good hard look at yourself. 

I'll say it once again- selling out is a great thing. If you as a musician are accosted by some cardigan-wearing hipster and accused of it; take it as a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment